Tuesday, April 28, 2009

PSA: Bandaging Your Tattoos

As I think I've mentioned, I've been on Yahoo answers a ton trying to spread the gospel of tattoo goodness. What I've noticed more than anything is how many people suggest keeping a tattoo bandaged for more than a few hours and, what's worse, with Saran wrap. In short, DON'T DO IT.

A tattoo is an open wound (duh) and wounds need to breathe. The only reason they're even bandaged in the first place is because of the bleeding. I even use the term "bandaged" loosely because I don't think Saran wrap counts. It certainly doesn't stop the bleeding and it creates a bacteria playground. That aside, once you've had it on for a few hours, let that puppy breathe.

I would only advocate bandaging with actual guaze and then Saran wrap if you know you're going to be getting into something that might cause infection. Yard work comes to mind. Once you're done, take it off immediately. Keeping it bandaged will just slow the whole process down because it isn't getting the chance to heal properly. Ever kept a bandaid on a cut constantly and it took forever to heal? There's a reason for that.

I hope that all my readers (har har) have the good sense to not do that, but I just had to get it out there. Say no to bandaging!

No comments: