Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Stars, Diamonds, and Years Passing

This isn't going to start out sounding like a mod blog appropriate post, but it'll get there. Just hang on.

As some of you undoubtedly know or have heard in the past few days, I've been battling alcohol addiction and binge drinking for a while. I've received an amazing amount of support from all sides. Even people I barely know have stepped up to support me on what is going to be a long, hard road. I'm 4 days sober currently and feeling on a roll. I think you may know what comes next.

When I reach 6 months sober (falling off the wagon restarts the clock), I'm getting a diamond tattooed on my left hand between my thumb and index finger. I've wanted a hand tattoo for a while, but couldn't justify something that ballsy. I think marking 6 months sober is ballsy enough. In an absolutely flawless world, that would mean on October 18. Then at one year I'm getting a star on my right hand in roughly the same place. After that, every year will earn another star. Ideally, they'll go down toward the bottom of my thumb and start to wrap around my wrist and arm. It'll be quite the project after 20 years and an ongoing one. I can only imagine the looks I'll be getting when I'm 80 and asking for another star up my right arm. I know stars are cliche, but it seems like the right thing to mark each year. Only 361 more days to go!

No comments: