Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just Another Day in Suburbia

So since I have no new mods to discuss, the next few entries will probably focus on my various rants and raves about being modded, perceptions of those who are modded, and the like.

For those who don't know, I live in the suburbs. Visible tattoos are about as common as the bubonic plague. As a result, I become a walking point of interest to those who encounter me. When I'm at work and don't have a sweater on, usually at least one person will comment on my ink. For the most part, if they've decided to bring it up, they're going to say something nice. On rare occasions, someone is actually looking for a recommendation and I point them in the right direction. The vast majority, though, just stare and squirm. Or they'll ask something stupid like "Did that hurt?" or "Is that real?".

I was actually surprised when we went to play laser tag a few weeks ago in the most suburban of suburbia, I didn't get one dirty look from parents. It's like just by having tattoos, I'm somehow encouraging their kids to get full sleeves. Umm, no. If your kid is gonna get a tattoo it's not because they saw me when they were eleven. Though if they did, I'd probably be flattered. You just never know how you influence someone's life.

I often get asked if I regret them. Aside from the fact I don't really believe in regret, I don't. It does make my life harder sometimes, but if I had the chance to do it over again, I don't think I'd make a different choice. It's part of who I am. I guess it's like asking someone if they regret having a nose job or a boob job. A choice has been made and, for better or worse, you live with it. Ideally, you never look back. I find that sometimes I peek over my shoulder wondering what could have been if I'd made a different choice. Then I remind myself that I know what it's like to not be modded and that I'm better off now. Being who I am is worth a few adjustments to my wardrobe.

No comments: