Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What Makes You Different Makes You Beautiful

I hope to inspire every girl with tattoos with this post. Whether you have 1 or 100, I hope this post will touch someone. I know I wish someone would say it to me.

My tattoos don't make me ugly. It's not some bizarre form of self mutilation. They don't make me undesirable. They don't make me *gasp* unmarriagable. I love my mother, but if I hear how no man is going to want me because of my tattoos one more time, I'm going to scream. Or some equally snide comment from my father that the only place I'll ever find a husband is a biker bar. She claims she doesn't want to marry me off, but I think some days she's convinced she's going to have two spinsters still in the house. Every time there's a new one, I have to hear about how it will show in a wedding dress, yet, no man wants me. So how is it that I'm going to shame my mother at my wedding, but I'll be damn lucky if I even find a guy dumb enough to marry me? Or will I end up with some guy their age and we'll run off and get married in Vegas?

My tattoos make me beautiful. They make me different. And they are part of who I am. I'm not "too pretty" for tattoos. I am one of "those people". There are plenty of men out there who find tattoos attractive. Most of them also have tattoos, but I'd bet there are some who don't. I don't want a guy who wants a cookie cutter bobblehead for a partner. I want a guy who isn't okay with just any girl. I don't know what my tattoos say to them, but I know what they say to me. I don't really care what people think and I'm not afraid to express myself. I happen to be proud of being a walking art gallery. I always have something to bring me joy even on the worst of days. I always have stories to tell. I have a genuine piece of art that was made for me.

Tattooed women of the world band together. Wear your ink with pride. Don't let the bastards get you down. Don't let people convince you that you're ugly or slutty or unworthy. If anything, you're better than all of them. You had the guts to take a chance. To do something permanent. Even if it didn't work out like you hoped (let's face it sometimes they don't), you stepped out on the limb. You pushed the envelope.

I have tattoos. And I am beautiful.

No comments: